Welcome to tictalk

come on in and join in , its fun here !

Register Log in

celtic Celtic captain Scott Brown thinks Aberdeen, and not Rangers, will be the main challengers to their t

Techt902

fucked if I know
Oct 4, 2014
Celtic captain Scott Brown thinks Aberdeen, and not Rangers, will be the main challengers to their title defence.

The Hoops, under new manager Brendan Rodgers, are aiming for a sixth consecutive league title.

Aberdeen finished second in the Scottish Premiership last season, with Rangers promoted from the Championship.

"I think Aberdeen after the last couple of seasons," Brown told Sky Sports when asked to pick the biggest threat.

"They have been exciting to watch, they have come to Celtic Park and got points and we have struggled up there. So hopefully we can do a little bit better this season."

Aberdeen have been runners-up in the past two campaigns; finishing 15 points behind Celtic in May, two points closer than the previous term.

Glasgow rivals Rangers beat Celtic on their way to the Scottish Cup final last season and the Old Firm pair meet on league duty on 10 September.

When asked how he thought Rangers would fare, midfielder Brown said: "We'll see that when it comes. That's the fifth game of the season so we have got a few before that. Aberdeen have been great the last couple of years and so have Hearts after coming back up last season."

On the derby fixture, Brown added: "It will be good. It's always good, a Rangers-Celtic game, especially with the atmosphere. But there's lots of huge games coming up for us and that's way down the line."

Focus on Astana

Celtic meet Astana on Wednesday in the second leg of their Champions League third qualifying round tie.

A second-half strike from Leigh Griffiths saw Rodgers' side return from Kazakhstan last week with a 1-1 draw.

"We went over there and got the away goal," Brown said. "That's always going to help us. We played well on the day and maybe could have sneaked another one.

"But it's going to be a great atmosphere back at Celtic Park and we're looking forward to the game."

With a visit to Hearts following on Sunday, Brown believes the European qualifiers will help Celtic get off to a strong start when they kick off their Premiership defence.

"Last season was a little bit disappointing overall but we still got the job done," he said.

"This season we have started off well in the Champions League qualifiers and hopefully we will push that into the league.

"This is always the priority. It's huge for us to try to get six in a row. We fought well last season and deserved it after a long hard season."

Green_Smurf

Administrator
Jul 27, 2016
The Captain rightly showing respect to our closest challengers, let's see how long it takes for it to be twisted into him showing disrespect for Rangers

mkbhoy

Gallowgate_2018
Jul 27, 2016
Only in Scotland! Imagine the English media putting out a story along the lines of "Ranieri says Arsenal (finished second in the league), not Burnley (promoted team who won the division below) will be our main challengers".....nah, me neither!

Techt902

fucked if I know
Oct 4, 2014
don't know if any of you caught clyde last night ? ,, the agenda is set for this season expect some serious sevco overdrive

mkbhoy

Gallowgate_2018
Jul 27, 2016
Can't listen to Clyde...I really mean CAN'T.....end up pulling my hair out with the shite they come out with

KDC1888

Dec 13, 2015
Scott Brown in telling the truth Shocker!
This sort of reporting is why I dont buy red tops anymore and why radio phone in shows should be avoided imo. These biased pricks in the Scottish media are just as much an irrelevance as the tribute act they are trying to promote, best ignored.

mkbhoy

Gallowgate_2018
Jul 27, 2016
Scott Brown in telling the truth Shocker!
This sort of reporting is why I dont buy red tops anymore and why radio phone in shows should be avoided imo. These biased pricks in the Scottish media are just as much an irrelevance as the tribute act they are trying to promote, best ignored.
Exactly.....trying to make a non-story into a means of attempting to make the huns more important than they actually are. I'm glad that Broony is saying that other teams within our league should be considered as significant (if not more) to the competition than a team that's just been promoted from the division below.

Elevator

Either Up or Down
Gallowgate
Jul 27, 2016
Well said scott brown