Welcome to Tictalk

Come on in and join in ,, its fun here

2nd hand SLR – How low can you go?

Green_Smurf

Administrator
Jul 27, 2016
I would quite like to invest in a second hand digital SLR. (Not only for myself but for my kids who are starting to get into photography). Back in the day I used to have a film SLR and it was pretty easy to get one as the mechanics where pretty sturdy and so you just had to look at the body and lens.

Nowadays I don’t have a clue – neither as to longevity of digital SLRs nor as to how quickly and how important are the technological changes. (Don’t have cash to throw around so I would like to get a good few years out of it)

Any advice appreciated.

Sisko

فلسطين حرة
Oct 4, 2014
Pretty cheap now a days ..

Both nikon and cannon do entry level at around 300 quid ..
If that price is a bit steep then consider a second hand older model like the d3200

I myself have the nikon d5100 which is 5 year old now and a few lenses . Don't use it any were near as much as I should

John

Administrator
Oct 13, 2014
There are loads of entry level DSLR cameras to choose from.
There are examples of the Nikon D5100 with kit lens andthe Canon 600D with kit lens for under £300
The important thing with anything like this is to decide the system you want and once you decide its for you, then improve what you have.

Green_Smurf

Administrator
Jul 27, 2016
Thanks

How many years do you get out of a digital camera? Are they built to last?

Anything I should look out for spec wise when choosing one?

John

Administrator
Oct 13, 2014
Thanks

How many years do you get out of a digital camera? Are they built to last?

Anything I should look out for spec wise when choosing one?
Take care of it and it will do you years. Most Dslr have a life of anything from 100,000 to 300,000 shutter clicks.
What you to avoid is dust on the sensor, so change lenses carefully.
They more you pay the better features you will get.
There are plenty of YouTube reviews for models and makes to help you choose.

Green_Smurf

Administrator
Jul 27, 2016
I'll probably end up going for the Canon as it has an external ISO button as I don't like having to fanny about with on screen menus

I remember ISO was film speed - which you had to balance between light sensitivity and detail - i used to mostly use a 400 as a good all rounder. I imagine it is the same sketch in a digital. Balancing the f-stops, shutter speed and ISO.

John

Administrator
Oct 13, 2014
I'll probably end up going for the Canon as it has an external ISO button as I don't like having to fanny about with on screen menus

I remember ISO was film speed - which you had to balance between light sensitivity and detail - i used to mostly use a 400 as a good all rounder. I imagine it is the same sketch in a digital. Balancing the f-stops, shutter speed and ISO.
You are right the process of the The Exposure Triangle is the same. Most formats usually have fairly easy menu's and have buttons that can be customised to suit your needs.
Most important thing is getting used to it and finding your editing style.

Green_Smurf

Administrator
Jul 27, 2016
If you're on Facebook join this group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1530255573922165/

There's usually some great deals going.....

They keep knocking me back it seems.
hit join group, join group button becomes pending.
Next time I visit the Join group button is back.

Maybe it is because I am not Scotland based? Wouldn't matter as I would be having anything bought in the UK sent to my brother.
Is it an active group?

John

Administrator
Oct 13, 2014
They keep knocking me back it seems.
hit join group, join group button becomes pending.
Next time I visit the Join group button is back.

Maybe it is because I am not Scotland based? Wouldn't matter as I would be having anything bought in the UK sent to my brother.
Is it an active group?
I have had no response from from my request either. There will be loads of other similar groups. Hopefully one in your area.

Green_Smurf

Administrator
Jul 27, 2016
In general the second hand market in Spain is full of knock off merchants, everyone wants at least what they paid for when it was new

Checking out Ebay.UK and prices on a 600D with lens seems to average out at about 230 quid. (400-600€ here)

Green_Smurf

Administrator
Jul 27, 2016
I picked up a Canon 650D and 18-55mm kit lens, 3 batteries and charger, carrycase and '650D for dummies' on ebay.

Just waiting on my brother to send it out in time for the good weather
Thanks for the advice!